Monday, April 26, 2010

Crooner

Is it normal to be willing to try a new tobacco because of a beloved association? I have previously written about how I love the tobacco Blackwatch more for it's historical association, so I guess I'm just susceptible to a good title. Many tobaccos thrive on a title alone, just like coffee, tea, etc. (for example "Chock Full 'O Nuts" - Worst coffee ever!) Crooner, by Cornell and Deihl, however, is more than just a pretty face. What really attracted me to this blend is not just the fact that they associated it with the iconic pipe smoker, but the fact that it was a copy blend of the blend that Bing actually smoked. Is it close, would Bing like it? I don't know.
I don't know about the nuts and bolts, but the basics of the thing are Cubed burley and deer tongue. At first I didn't understand exactly how one would smoke cubed burley, but it came with time. The first few bowls didn't "wow" me as they were following stronger English tobaccos. However, since then I have given it first shot at my unburned palate and have found it to be a really nice, light easy burning blend. It is nutty and sweet and almost has a hint of vanilla. Very nice.
I am not licensed to speak about the disparity between the private and public life of Mr. Bing Crosby. This tobacco, however, seems to fit perfectly with his public personae. It is easy going and enjoyable. Wonderfully, smooth and it helps to hum "Sam's Song" or "Blue Skies" while burning through the wonderful duration of it. What a gas!

1 comment:

  1. You are quite the tobacco commentator - and I KNOW you have always loved Bing. I love him, too. One of my bloggers told me that Aunt Bea was a meanie in real life but I don't care. I didn't know her in REAL life. Have a pipe or two to celebrate Aria's sweet birth. Maybe I can bring you a new mix when I come up.

    ReplyDelete